Forum home Plants

Lavatera

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

These plants self seed quite readily.

So if someone has has them in their garden, it's likely that they will have some small plants, which are normally considered 'weeds' and get pulled up and thrown out.

They have tap roots (like very thin carrots) so care is required when transplanting. But they are not difficult to transplant.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,372

They are weeds, short term fillers in at best.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

From the link that nutcutlet posted fron the RHSimage

"Lavatera can be annuals, biennials, perennials or subshrubs, with long-stalked, palmately lobed leaves and large, funnel-shaped flowers in summer"

says it all reallyimage

And this is what they say about hibiscus

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=959

"Hibiscus can be deciduous or evergreen shrubs, trees, annuals or perennials, with simple or palmately lobed leaves and large, funnel-shaped flowers over a long flowering season"

Says it all really againimage

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,438

I bought a lavatera "Barnsley" some years ago. It grew into a large rather floppy shrub, covered in pale pink flowers. I pruned it to a few inches each year and it grew back bigger each time. Then I notices new plants growing around it. After about 5 years the original died and I let three of the babies grow up. They have much darker pink flowers, which I prefer and they are about 4' tall, the first one was over 5'. I wouldn't call them weeds!

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • jo4eyesjo4eyes North East Derbyshire Posts: 2,053

I agree about asking to take cuttings from a shrub with the flower colour that you want.

Thay are easy plants to grow, but inclined to windrock damage, being quite shallow rooted, so I do a bit of a tidy up in the autumn, then the proper cut back early in spring. That way I dont end up with a monster that needs support!

Just to confuse the issue, I also grow the annual mallow seeds as well. J.

• AlkoAlko Posts: 21

I have a Lavatera 'Barnsley Baby' in my garden and the flowers were beautiful when it last bloomed. I bought it for about £2.00 from Morrisons last summer. It soon grew! image

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,254

image My Lavatera, Barnsley has white flowers with red centre's, it's a semi evergreen shrub. Flowers June to September not had a problem yet with it self seeding.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,438

The RHS photo in this link is like my original, I said pale pink, Zoomer said white, RHS says both!

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=4744

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,254

My eye sight mustn't be as good as it was,  it possibly did go a pale pink at the end of the summer but the change went unnoticed, I checked the picture which came with the plant from greenline and it looks white, must have been taken at the beginning of the summer and not the endimageimage

• discodavediscodave Posts: 510

Does anyone know if Lavatera blooms on new growth like Buddleija or is it on last years growth?