Potentilla Fruticosa

I've got a shrubby, semi trailing Potentilla, rich yellow flowers, 2 years old, planted in a raised bed full sun west-facing.

Stupidly misplaced the name tag and can't remember which kind it is exactly, nor when to prune it.

Last year I think I pruned it mid spring and it produced a measly amount of flowers late Summer.

Haven't touched it yet this year - too nervous until you experts out there give me some advice!

Is this a kind that flowers on the current year's growth, so needs pruning BEFORE flowering, or does it flower on the old wood only (?no pruning required?)

RHS is a bit vague - just tells me that Potentillas evn if deciduous (mine is) are Pruning Group 10 - er, yeah! Means nothing to me image

*Thank you*

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,727

Hi, if you look here scroll down http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=168 you'll find Pruning Group 10 instructions image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Thanks Dove - I had read that bit already, but it doesn't help me identify whether my Potentilla is the type that flowers on old or new wood, sadly.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,244

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/plantfinder/potentilla-2.asp

Try that one, seems more straightforward. I don't think they need a lot of pruning. Your potentilla will almost certainly be a cultivar of potentilla fruticosa. 

To be honest I hardly ever prune Potentilla fruticosa, just the occasional light clipping/shearing if needed during the winter to keep a nice shape.  The last one I planted was the white Abbotswood, in my parents' garden about 6 years ago and it's never been pruned -  it's a lovely regular mound about 3ft high and 4ft accross and is a picture throughout the summer and early autumn.

I think Potentiall fruticosas flower on new wood, so if needed I would trim in the late autumn or winter, but as I said - most of the time it probably doesn't need it. image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

They don't do that well for me as a rule. I think 2 of them are in too dry a spot and the other one is too shaded. Maybe I'll get it just right next time.

• Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,455
    I have red, white , yellow and orange and never touch them other than a little stray clip . They are quite new so not exactly brilliant but seem quite happy in my clay soil, they are in sun but ground is pretty moist...unless we have a heat wave image

Mother's is on a southfacing bank on light seaside soil - it was quite a big plant when we planted it so we gave it loads of water in it's first summer, but since then it's been more or less ignored image

• Heat wave image I wish!

Thanks for all your replies - mine is in quite heavy soil in a raised bed with plenty of sun. 

I onlylightly clipped it last year, after it had flowered, but it literally only produced about 5 flowers!

*Dove* If mine is one that flowers on new wood (I think the flowers were in late-ish summer rather than spring) then shouldn't I prune it lightly in early to mid Spring rather than Autumn/Winter, or doesn't it make any difference?

I think Dove's right, they don't need much pruning and autumn/ winter is the time. But you won't kill it if you do it at the wrong time.

• I've got a creamy yellow one, that grows in shade and apart from taking off the straggly ends that get in the way I never prune it, and it flowers profusely every year.

In fact the poor thing gets very little attention, but it still keeps going and looks a picture, so I leave well alone.

ChrisX