Forum home Tools and techniques

Climbing rose - Tilehung wall

Good morning all I have a clay tile-hung cottage. Has anybody successfully trained climbing roses on tile hung facades? My worry is drilling hooks into the tiles will almost certainly crack them. Can anyone enlighten me? Or perhaps I should abandon the idea. All best wishes

• Nope sorry- but how about a trellace held in place with posts and grow it up that? 

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I agree with sarah
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I wouldn't do that Mr Mustard. As well as the nails in tiles problem you'll have the bits of plant insinuating themselves between the tiles.

• MrMustardMrMustard Posts: 25
    Food for thought, thank you.

By the way, on most sections of the property the tiles are hung on wooden rails which are fixed on to the brick wall. So I am wondering whether a rose could do too much damage if it happens to grow into the tiles (very dark) it will be met by a brick wall.

I know it's not good practice to allow plants to go on a house, but I'm a bit of a romantic when it comes to roses adorning cottages. But I suspect Nutcutlet is correct and I should leave roses for the garden.
  • It will only damage if it grows in then increases in thickness which might dislodge the tiles. No problem if you keep it to the trellace! 

Thanks Sarah. So how exactly would I do this? Erect a trellis a couple of inches from the wall? I suppose I was hoping for a natural look - as though the Rose had climbed it's way up the wall naturally. I'm thinking Maybe if it's on a trellis but not touching the wall it could look a little odd, but I could be wrong and will definitely look for examples in images online. Thank you very much for the idea
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

You can do a frame with masonry nails which you should be able to fit through the gaps in the tiles, just make sure they're 4 inch. you may get away with the galvanised hammer in anchors as well, just depends how close the tiles are fixed.

Ok thanks Dave I will look into this