Forum home Wildlife gardening

Tadpoles and duck weed

HI guys, I wonder if anyone can help me, I have a good amount of tadpoles in the pond this year but also duckweed. Now I read somewhere that tadpoles will eat the weed so it's not a problem, however they don't seem to be very hungry! The pond is now completely covered but every time I try to remove the weed I end up with a net full of tadpoles as well. Obviously I don't want to kill any of them but picking them out of the weed one a time is a very slow and slippery job! Any suggestions as to how to proceed?

Many thanks for any advice.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    There's a product called eco pond non chemical it takes away the nutrients in the pond so it dies off.I haven't tried it so look at instructions, your pond has too much nutrients in it.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Some wild foul will eat it
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,143

You watched that tv programmes the other night Edd.

Mine must be happy, they have their legs, my OH says they saw those big newt babies and thought they had better get on!!.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks for all the replies folks, I need to get this sorted asap as I don't want the water going stagnant through lack of light. I never thought such a tiny pond would cause me so much grief! I read that water mint can help as well because it feeds on the excess nutrients in the water, has anyone tried this?