Mares Tail.

My small front lawn is swamped with MT. It's to late to save the lawn, will a  blow-torch kill the MT or will it just grow back angry??

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,217

Nothing known to man will rid you of mare's tail. But if it makes you feel better, blast away!image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,920

Best method to get rid is to move house. Only take cuttings  and seeds with you.image

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783

Embrace the mares tail.  Unless you're ready to wage war.image

Some have reported success by spraying the plant after 'bruising' the stems/leaves.  You could try rolling/roughing the lawn somehow, and coating everything in RoundUp. With repeat applications for the rest of summer as it continues to grow.  It may work.. but perhaps not.  Personally I would just mow it often and pretend it's chubby grass.  image

Utah, USA.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,263

Try injecting it, with a needle with glyphosate, 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• iceice Posts: 327
    Dave let me know what works.

Been reading forum and was glad new house hadn't given me mares tail. Found it today. They had used weed suppressed fabric but its now appeared. Even some in lawn. Can I compost grass mares tail clippings?

Yes, but if you find any of those little pepperpot spore holders don't put them on the heap.

• iceice Posts: 327
    Pansy what do they look like?

The third picture down here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equisetum