Forum home Tools and techniques

Garden Fork

Hi, does anyone have any suggestions on strong garden forks? I managed to snap the head of mine clean off while try to remove a small tree rootball. Therefore looking for a replacement.

• paulk2paulk2 Posts: 184

Having had Spear and Jackson tools and bending them, I've never looked back since buying Bulldog spades and forks, I've had a Bulldog garden spade and a Bulldog garden fork since 1998 and they have been excellent and indestructible on my clay soil and stony garden. I liked them that much that when a garden centre in my area was selling off Bulldog tools about five years ago, I also bought a border spade and a border fork.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • richhondacrichhondac Posts: 215
    You can normally tell if a fork is going to be any good by the price tag. Look for a high carbon SS MS or HSS and dropped forged

Roughneck tools are good also look in builders merchants they sell tools that are used by tradesmen
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,744

Big Bulldog fans here too.  OH destroys garden forks as a hobbyimage, but the bulldog one has survived image

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951

Broke mine at the weekend. She was lovely in pink! imageimageA present which I've enjoyed and a good lightweighter. the spikes are fine just  the handle snapped off . The spare / strong one is a spear n jackson and still doing just that , going strong, but oh so heavy?. 

• Wrong tool for the job, Richard.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,787

Last year I bought a Faithfull all steel fork and it's a heavyweight beast. I'll be most surprised if I break it. 

• Mattocks and big crowbars are good for that sort of job.