Forum home Problem solving

Dying weeping willow

Hi, I need a bit of advice on how to save my weeping willow. I have two one is doing really well the other is dying. My willows are between 9 and 12 years old. The older one lost all it's leaves last year during the spring/ summer. So I did a bit of pruning to it last year. This year there is a couple of handfuls of leaves at most right at the top of the tree. The rest now appears to be dead, however there were a load of shoots that emerged about a month ago on the main branches. However they have all shrived up and died (now a dark brown colour). There are three shoots which have about 6 to 8 leaves on them, though a little yellow in places on the trunk. From what I gather from research it appears to be fungi and cutting it right back to the trunk will be the only action I can take. But even then it may not work. Has anyone else had this problem? And does anyone have any advice? Thanks Rachel

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Having read the RHS info on the probable cause (Willow anthracnose), I think I'd either take it out before it spreads and burn, or cut it back to the ground, burn the affected material and see if will come back into growth. Neither option is great and there seem to be few effective treatments. Not a nice situation to be in.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,169

My guess is this weeping willow is the little Kilmarnock. If it is, don't cut below the graft.

Personally, I would remove it.The chances of it ever looking beautiful are small.

In the sticks near Peterborough