Forum home Tools and techniques

Old petrol mower wont run

Hi, can anyone tell me why this mower will start and run with the choke on but as soon as I set the choke to off it dies ? I recently bought it off ebay, it runs but nor for long. Lovely old mower would be great to get it running well. Its a Suffolk Punch 30s model image 

• ColinAColinA Posts: 256

Sounds like you may have dirt in the carburetor main jet. so the carb will have to be completely stripped and cleaned and also the fuel tank will need to be flushed out as this is the source of dirt in the carb

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,866

Possibly a carburettor problem - a simple adjustment might do it (there should be a screw to turn) or it might need taking apart and cleaning.

Have a look at the Old Lawnmower Club forum http://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/forum/suffolk-colt-75g14-hunting There should be plenty of info there image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• paulk2paulk2 Posts: 184

Just out of interest, can you put Redex into a lawn mower and would that help?

• FlappersFlappers Posts: 24

Great I'll go tinker image

What will I flush it with, Redex ?

We used to flush out the tank and wash the carb etc with paraffin - but that was in the days when everyone had some paraffin in the garden shed.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• If I was 80 years old I wouldn't want to run either.

Hehe, no it's not 80 yrs old, thats just the model num image I have cleaned the carburettor and it runs a little cleaner but still dies. I think its the governor, now I just need to find out how to adjust that and where it is ! image

After looking at another carb of the same make it seems the mixture screw has been lost. I'm guessing this is the issue ... One in the post, I'll pop back and let you know if I'm succsessfull image

Runs like a charm now :)
    Fantastic!  :D