Forum home Tools and techniques

Standing Pots in Water in a Tray

NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,508

I have some potted plants with a 5 inch diameter standing in a large tray with a 2 inch depth

? What are the advantages and/or disadvantages in standing the pots in a depth of water

? If I do this so the plants can "drink " do I need to water from above as well

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,739

If you (temporarily!) stand a pot in a tray of water, the compost will soak up as much water as it needs.  That should take about 30 minutes.  Then remove the pot from the tray.

The advantage is that the compost will be thoroughly wetted all the way through which may not happen when you water from above as it can run straight down, particularly if the compost has been allowed to dry out too much.

Note that most plants will die if you permanently leave them in pots sitting in a tray of water.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,137

I water most of my plants from the top and have a saucer underneath to catch run off.

Every now and then,especially in very hot weather,I stand the potin a tray to give it a really good soak.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

I'd say it depends hugely upon the plants. Do they naturally like damp conditions?

I'd not suggest it for those plants happier in drought conditions.

Devon.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,264

The danger is that their roots reach down to the water and then are stuck in it. PONG!

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I do soak my trays and modules by using an old tortoise box about 36x20 " I leave it out by the potting table so it has rain water in it they love itimage and when I am sowing or potting on it is soo easy.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,253

I'm doing this with my baby purple loosestrife, but then of course they are a wetland plant.