Forum home Wildlife gardening

How to reduce biodiversity

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,176

Oh lord. It makes you want to weep.

Never mind, when they're all gone we'll be able to look at them online.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • wishbonewishbone Posts: 44

Indeed, how sad. As if anyone would be walking through said underpass or likely to come into close contact with the caterpillars. I notice in the photo with the article there is no pedestrian access. If the council workers hadn`t been "inspecting" they would probably never have been noticed and the moths would have emerged in peace and none the wiser. If thats the area you live in I suggest you get on to your Council and tell them to stop wasting your council tax and killing wildlife indiscriminately and needlessly.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,846

Good idea wishbone, will do

• kleipieperkleipieper Posts: 563

Yes, sad, but if the caterpillars were these, it may have been necessary. image

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_processionary

Here in The Netherlands we get them every year in towns and cities and they make some people really ill. Many towns and cities have special numbers you can call to alert them to an infestation. In Belgium it was so bad some years ago that they called the army in to help get rid of the caterpillars.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,461

image Sometimes I find people too panicky for my liking...

I tire of hearing about 'infestations' of this or that and how some creature has gotten in our way. Why do people have to make such a fuss about what is essentially nothing?

And does the Army get rid if them kleipieper or do they just have a quick battle but lose the war?

I an allergic to tomato sap but I grow tomatoes. I don't call in the army every time my hands blow up like balloons because I've not been diligent about wearing gloves when I tie the plants in.image

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,461

Just adding my post above wasn't in response to kleipiper's comment, just my opinion on the article/issue in general.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,095

The article says, “Direct contact with the caterpillar can cause mild irritation. If you are affected, the rash will be similar to severe nettle rash. The discomfort should pass after a few hours. "

Working on that premise, can we safely assume that Peterborough City Council employees are now working to eradicate all stinging nettles, wasps, bees, ants ....... and mounting a lookout for any jellyfish working their way up the River Nene ......  image

Just a thought - Nut, are you (or is anyone you know) aware of any bat colonies in the area of Queensgate and the city railway station?  Won't the eradication of an important food source for bats impact deleteriously on their chances of survival?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

And then there are the cases of mistaken identity where the wrong man gets hanged for the crime 

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/natureplus/community/identification/blog/2010/06/17/alien-invasions-horror-stories-or-just-the-ermine-moth?fromGateway=true