Forum home Problem solving

Decking

i have recently moved into a lovely house, with what has been well laid decking. It is slippery when it gets wet and needs to be restained etc. 

What is the best way to get rid of the algae/moss build up?

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,125

Pressure wash it, that should get rid of all of it, then wash and stain.

• Yvonne 9Yvonne 9 Posts: 4

I think that might just send the spores across the garden, though I have thought about it! 

There was a post about using a bleach mixture (as a once of) I know not eco friendly but apparently it worked. I did ask about proportions but didn't hear back. If I could just get rid of it in the first instance I am sure I could keep it treated and clear

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,616

Get some oxygen laundry bleach (Oxy clean or similar) and mix a solution - approx 3 scoops in a bucket of water and brush it on.  Oxygen bleach won't harm plants/animals etc.

Don't use chlorine bleach!!!

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks to Dovefromabove. I will give that a go and post how I get on!

Decking is lovely, if it is maintained. Not easy in the less sunny climates of the UK. I am sure I am not alone with this problem.

There are so many products on sale but you have to start out with a decent clean slate, so to speak, or common sense will tell that they won't work! 

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,674

At our last house we used to use a product called Algon.  It always worked well.  The main problem was that the decked area was in the shade so used to get slippery all the time.  I think decking only really works if it's in the sun for most of the day.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
    The decking faces South so gets sun for part of the day, bar shadow from a neighbouring extension, which is fine. I have heard of Algon but, as I haven't had decking before, I was probably not paying attention.

I am delighted with the response from this thread and will definitely post back on my results.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

Are you paying for this advert or are you just a cheap , shameless  freeloader?

Devon.