Forum home Problem solving

Spotty aeonium

• Lizzy CJLizzy CJ Posts: 35

This is zebedee,  love him to bits,  tripled in size in 12  months image  

• davids10davids10 Posts: 894

i don't like the bare stems so i behead and reroot mine fairly often.

a friend has an unstemmed zwartzkop rosette that is 18 in.across which is kool.

if you want to see wonderful aeoniums-and other succulents-go on line to altmanplants-i think they ship worldwide.

no. no, verdun its the leaves that make the plants. i can't imagine anyone growing them for the stems.

oh verdun, i love your stems. wherever did you get them.image

oh verdun, i have seen so many acres of leggy aeoniums in southern ca. that every time i come home i tell myself i'm not going to grow such weedy trash. then i remind myself that every thing is a weed somewhere,

so it's a matter of taste. all the succulent nerds i know chop their aeoniums because a stem is a stem and it's the leaf shape and colour for which they're collected.

sooo-you like stemmers, i like leaves. i chopped this one yesterday because it was stemming without offsets. the one above came from the one offset the kiwi produced a couple of months ago. 

• Mousey3Mousey3 PottonPosts: 86

Lizzy - wow! I mean Zebedee is an awesome specimen! How did you get him to grow so big in 12 months? Did you also use terracotta pot and John Innes 3 soil?

Davids/Verdun - Thanks to you both as I didn't realise I had a choice. I have to say I fell in love with the tall 'leggy' plant that I saw in St Ives, and how other rosettes branched off of it, in a rose like fashion that was made of leaves rather than petals. Stunning! However, I didn't realise you could cut them and in effect make them bigger? How would you go about 'beheading' them? I love the tall, but variety is the spice of life, so would like to try the short too (assuming I get mine to start growing first). LOL