Forum home Wildlife gardening

Wild life and my ponds

I have one large and one small tin bath on my small patio. I dont know what I am doing wrong but the plants dont thrive well and i do not attract any pond life .Both are on my south facing patio, which may be the problem.The water I have cleaned out this year as they were full of green gunge all over the plants . Put some pond straw liquid in to keep them clear which has improved the plants to some degree and i am wondering now if i need something else to keep it clear or different plants. My smaller pond has a very small solar fountain in it the other has non and the small one has a sick looking lily plant that does not look like it will flower again this year . I must be doing something wrong and would like help to remedy this any one . Have lots of wild flowers and bees and the garden is doing well its just my ponds that are suffering 

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

They're in too much sun mo6. The metal will heat the water and make it too hot for most wildlife. Get them into partial/full shade if you can.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,293

I think you have identified the probable cause yourself. Large or small, a tin bath makes for a very small volume of water and on a south facing patio your poor plants are getting regularly cooked! Move them somewhere where they get partial shade, or move a plant in a container to give it to them. This will even out the variations in water temperature somewhat and keep things a little cooler. You don't say what type of plants you have so can't say anything specific there, but water lilies dislike water movement and droplets falling on their leaves may lead to sunscorch, so adding to their discomfort. Move either the fountain or the lily to the other bath and things may improve.

• mo6mo6 Posts: 28

Thanks for advise will move these water features to a much friendlier location  and start again.image