Forum home Wildlife gardening

Please identify this wildflower for me

Hi Everyone

Can someone kind identify this wildflower for me? I`m a novice at wildflower identification and have spent hours hunting websites to no avail. I`m sure it must be common as there is loads of it and it is growing in damp open woodland. First photo shows leaf and bud and second close up of flowers. Quite fancy some in a wild part of the garden but want to identify so I know more about it before trying that. Thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,875

I think that's Claytonia sibirica. Not native but has probably gone wild in damp spots

• wishbonewishbone Posts: 44

Thanks very much nutcutlet, you`re correct and I`ve checked it out now and found its otherwise known as Siberian Spring Beauty or Siberian Miners Lettuce and its leaves are apparently edible in salads. Native to Siberia and N. America though introduced to the UK since before the 18th century. It flowers Feb to August so I would think its a good doer for damp shade and may try some. Cheers, wishbone.

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,976

Digging up wildflowers is obviously a no-no, but as this is an exotic invader, I suppose it wouldn't be unethical to move some from the wild into your garden?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,270
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,976

Yes I know it's illegal to do so without the property owners permission.

• wishbonewishbone Posts: 44

Hi All

I have absolutely no intention of digging any of it up! I wouldn`t dream of doing that its beautiful for everyone to enjoy where it is. When I find anything wild I would like I wait until it seeds and collect some and grow my own. Everything in my garden is grown from seeds, cuttings, swaps and very occasional garden centre bargains.