What are you planting in your pots and containers?

happycottontailhappycottontail Posts: 378

Having been totally underwhelmed by most of the GW mag's ideas for summer containers, I thought we might share some ideas and pics of what has or hasn't worked in the past, and what we're planning for this year. Do you prefer just one variety in a pot ( easy option! ), or are you good at mixtures?  Last year I tried Isotoma on their own, but after a few weeks they looked messy as they are a real chore to try and deadhead.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • morning. I have horseradish in one pot and some lilies in another two which are looking beautiful right now. Also have garlic (looking not long till harvesting) image and my sweetcorn which are growing very well at the minute.

• Rosie31Rosie31 Posts: 483

Gosh, I'm sooooooooooooo behind schedule!  Only done my tomato pots, the rest are empty.  image

• RozzyRozzy Posts: 18

Agapanthus look good in pots, mine are coming along nicely.  Also pelargoniums, fuchsias and hostas (if you can keep the snails away). Alliums also do well and look great, and the bees love them. Also have a couple of Acers (one red, one green) which look fab in big pots.  Looking forward to admiring them later on the patio with a glass of wine image

• Pink lilyPink lily Posts: 174

I usually keep to one type of plant per pot, but this year have mixed them all for a change.  there are lobelia, ivy, petunias, geraniums, Alyssum, stock, Alliums, lillies, pansys, lavender, liatris, aubrieta and osteospermum.    Keeping my fingers crossed for a lovely riot of colour this summer image

• Pink lilyPink lily Posts: 174

oh, and a couple of fuschias in there somewhere too

• VrystaatVrystaat Posts: 50

I plant in pots too. I have a lovely deep purple pansy and a fuchsia in 1 pot. The pansy came after the fuchsia. In my conservatory, which I call my nursery, I have numerous little pots, growing from seed, no not the pots!..nasturtiums, and something which said mixed colours annuals, I think. So far, I can see theres some cosmos.,

• VrystaatVrystaat Posts: 50

ps to above... I also have marigolds and nasturtiums, which have been, mysteriously, stripped. I also have a dahlia.I also have 3 deep purple delphiniums?larkspur?

• scigibscigib Posts: 51

Patty pan squash, Tomatoes, Some slug munched peas that have now recovered but are not suitable for allotment. Trailing fuchsia. and the usual stuff you put in hanging baskets.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 7,336

I love isotoma - never bother deadheading, and it just goes on and on flowering.  Everything else contributes to the flowery froth - lobelia, calliabrocha, marguerites and blue salvia.  Not very adventurous, but I am happy with the look it givesimage

The Stone Age didn’t end because they ran out of stones ......