Song Thrush

Hi there, I have a question about song thrushes... I don't know these birds well at all since they are not to be found where I come from, but I have one in the new garden who's always coming and going in the pergola, bathing in the pond, breaking snails on the same stone, etc. Thing is, I never see it flying, well, occasionally, if it really must, and it seems to fly somewhat wobbly... more like springing in the air and somehow trying not to fall down again... is this normal, or is this particular bird hurt?

It seems to be going around its business well enough, but always on foot, hop hop hop. It's kinda funny, and a bit strange.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,311

We have them in our garden. They are related to the blackbird so they have a similar gait and flight to them. However, thrushes are much more timid than blackbirds and try to avoid meeting them because they get bullied by them. Maybe the one you see is keeping low to the ground in order to keep out of sight.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,576

They normally fly well - maybe it is injured/recovering from injury - or maybe it's moulting and doesn't have all it's wing feathers yet - I must admit I'm not aware of the moult affecting the flight of songbirds, but it does affect ducks - they lose the ability to fly for a while during the moult.    Interesting.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

Mh... I will put some food down for it in the places where I always see it... I just hope my cats don't get ideas...  Thanks a million for the replies image

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Sounds perfectly normal for a song thrush. Although ground feeders they're heavier than blackbirds and do jump up before flight, due to their wing span.

• FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 254

Very much like the Blackbird in the position of nest building, they very often open to Magpies, Sparrow hawks etc.saw one on a Juliet balcony on a block of flats near us.image

Ah, so I should not be worried for this one! Good to know. I grew kinda attached to it by now... it's always around, hopping under the table and chairs after dinner gleaning crumbs and stuff!

• staffsmagsstaffsmags Posts: 230

I suppose it could be a youngster just getting the hang of life and self care.

I don't think there is anything you can do for it, other than make sure you don't use slug/snail pellets, even if they say wildlife friendly!   And try to keep your cats inside when it is around.  Fingers Crossed.  Mags

Hi all, I thought I'd give you an update about my songthrush, who is well and unmolested by aging moggies.

I had several days to observe it and I think it is not a youngster at all but a mom (or dad), because it makes many trips in the pergola south to north sans worm, and back again with worm. It is very busy with snails too. SO I think it is not sick or injured, or in other ways handicapped. Just likes to walk. Perhaps it is scared of heights image

I saw it flying a few times and it seems a bit more steady on the wing. Perhaps it WAS a little hurt at a certain point but is now recovered. In any case we are all exceedingly fond of it. It always inspects the floor after dinner to check for crumbs and such. It is the most "domestic" wild bird we ever had, except for one memorable demented bluetit who tried for weeks to kill his reflection in the bathroom mirror. image

• FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 254

Why do our little garden friends worry us so much? glad to hear your happier nowimage

Don't mention it... some days I wish one of those happy folks for whom only two sorts of birds exist, those you can eat, and those you can't. My life wuld surely be much easier image