Pear Tree Pruning

When is the best time to prune a Pear Tree,and as I have never done it before where do I begin.

Thankyou for any help.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,473

How old is the tree?  Young trees need pruning to get a good structure which will pay dividends when they mature, but for older trees it's more a case of keeping them healthy and productive.  Pear and apple trees are pruned in similar ways and now is the time unless you want to restrict growth of a rampant tree which is done in late summer.  RHS advice here:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=90

There are a lot of YouTube videos on the subject too.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Our Pear Tree is about six years old,I think we bought it from B & Q,I have tried to prune it a little bit.

There are loads of branches,and when the pears come,they don't get all that big.

Is there something I should feed them with,to get a better yield.

Thanks for your help much appreciated.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

It might be carrying too much fruit-it is worth thinning them out at the fruiting stage to get less but bigger pears-if you leave them all on that reduces the size.

You just need to be a bit ruthless-don't consider a pruning as a magical solution-if in doubt don't.

In the ground feeding is not always essential.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,473

Geoff's idea is a good one.  Any chance you could post a photo of it?  You said it had a lot of branches;  If they are all coming from the trunk, it may benefit from reducing the number (5 main branches is considered ideal), but it's difficult to say without seeing it.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I will take a photograph of it tomorrow and try to get it on the gardener's forum.

Thankyou all for your help much appreciated.

This is my Pear Tree

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

Oh- you got 3 identical treesimage