Forum home Wildlife gardening

Butterfly or Moth

Anyone know what this is Butterfly or Moth never seen one like this before .

It was in my garden tonight

Thanks

Baz

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,875

http://butterfly-conservation.org/51-1319/cinnabar.html

Cinnabar moth, a day flying moth with yellow and black striped caterpillars that eat ragwort

• bazabaza Posts: 670

Thanks Nutcutlet i had a look at the ragwort what the caterpillars eat and i've seen them in my garden ,

Thanks

Baz

• tom9760tom9760 Posts: 44

if you have pets make sure they don't eat them because they are toxic both moth and caterpillar 

• bazabaza Posts: 670

Thanks tom my daughter brings her dog to my garden .I'll keep an eye out

Thanks

Baz

• baza wrote (see)

Anyone know what this is Butterfly or Moth never seen one like this before .

It was in my garden tonight

Thanks

Baz

Moths have feathery or saw edged antennae whereas butterflies have club-shaped, usually longer antennae. They fold their wings differently, moths (including diurnal ones) tend to cover their abdomens with their wings and they have frenulums.

At a biodiversity thing at the weekend I was saying to the Lepidopterist chap that I've never seen a Cinnabar moth or caterpillar live, though I've gone to untreated lanes and reserves to look for them. He said this area is way out of their distribution. I've since howked some of the senecio plants.

I stick the greenhouse light on at night to attract moths to view. The clothes moths can right off.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,875

Some years we have lots of these and all the ragwort has caterpillars. Not so many in the last couple of years thoughimage