Forum home Wildlife gardening

Planting non native plants to encourage wildlife?

Hello, I was wondering about opinions on using non native plants to encourage wildlife? I was thinking about the plants I've planted recently for their wildlife friendly properties and the majority of them aren't native. I've still got a lot to plant so should I perhaps make a conscious effort to go native even if the plants aren't as productive for wildlife? When you say wildlife, do you think native or are any invasive species welcome too?

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,895

I choose varieties that are better for wildlife but I must admit I don't always go for native species. 

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,148

What sort of wildlife are you trying to encourage LouiseB?

If you're providing nectar-rich flowers for bees and butterflies etc, give a thought to their larval stages - what are they going to eat?  Many butterfly and moth caterpillars only feed on specific native plants - take note of the types of butterflies and moths that visit your garden, and look up the food plants for their caterpillars and grow them image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh