Forum home Problem solving

GROUND ELDER OR RASPBERRY ?

More photos from the plant in our garden that I placed on this site yesterday. I though it may e ground elder but two lovely ladies have said it may be raspberry so I promised some more photos for identification.

The leaves are thin and velvety on top. the stem is smooth- no thorns or spikes. there is no distinct aroma. The plants is about 2 to 2.5 feet tall so far.

Please ignore the Japanese anemone leaves ! it is growing amongst that plant !

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,166

It is definitely not ground elder

It still looks like a raspberry to me though there may be other plants in that family with similar leaves

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • JAYJARDINJAYJARDIN Posts: 224

Thank you Nutcutlet. I'll leave it be and see what happens ! Would it hurt if I transplant it to the sunny side of the garden ?

• LynLyn Posts: 21,992

thought I had seen this post before,,, it still isnt ground elder, have a look at this pic of mine, its wild raspberry, there are little brown spots along the stems, have yours got those, although, mine is wild so perhaps cultivated ones dont have those spots.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Hi Lyn

The leaves on my plant are much flatter and much less 'ribby' than yours and the stem is smooth and green without any spots. Also my plant is looks a bit tall and lanky not nice and shrubby like yours. It can't be a cultivated raspberry as I haven't planted one ! Can one eat wild raspberry ?

Thanks- I really pleased it isn't ground elder image

Cultivated raspberries were developed from wild ones, they're all edible. (except some of those you find in the supermarkets)

What a novice I am ! Thanks for your help.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 83,998

We all started somewhere, and we're all still learning - welcome aboard image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

I still learnimage

But unfortunately I forget more image

• LynLyn Posts: 21,992

Those are young they will grow to 20ft, they are like wild blackberries (bramble)  they ramble for miles through my hydrangeas just too big for me to check them, so I let them fruit and eat them, they are lovely and we do get loads! They will take liberties though in other parts of the garden, probably birds dropping seeds everywhere.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Oh my !! - 20 foot !! -that will keep the neighbours weeds in check !!

Thank you so much everyone for your help.