Forum home Wildlife gardening

Mulch - good for birds?

CloggieCloggie Cambs Fens but not black soilPosts: 1,451

Each morning I'm finding mulch on the lawn so I was wondering if we had a night-time visitor like a fox scratching or a hedgehog or something.  I've realised that it's the birds, I've just seen one throwing mulch on the lawn in a frenzy, I'm assuming looking for the worms that come up to take the mulch down.

Hope there're enough worms left to improve the soil! image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,320

blackbirds love a newly mulched bed. 

Don't deter them as they will find all sorts of nasties like slugs , snails and their eggs.

Devon.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,877

They're too busy with the moss on our flat porch roof to bother with mulch right now. We wade through lumps of it outside the back door every morning

We never see them at it so it might be the titsimage

• Louise BLouise B Posts: 81

Mulch is great for birds imo. All the slimey creatures think they are safe and the birds easily root them out image

It can be really annoying if you mulch your plant pots though...

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

Blackbirds can be a real pest. I found one under the netting on my beds, digging up seedlings while snuffling through the compost. They love mulch. I've watched the youngsters doing it too. It is amusing as long as they stay out of planted areas, which are all netted. 

• CloggieCloggie Cambs Fens but not black soilPosts: 1,451

My mulch is pretty hastily made home-made compost from last year that contains a fair amount of moss that I took out of the bouncy lawn and I can still identify shredded (love my old Bosch shredder) brambles! 

I reckoned it's all organic and needed to clear space for new grass clippings this year so on it went - ready or not! image

Actually on one of the beds, I've revisited to plant stuff and it's been swallowed under and the difference in the texture is amazing - it was newly rescued from weeds and pretty clayey.