Forum home Wildlife gardening

Missing Bees

I live in oxford and saw lots of bees round the apple tree flowers a few months ago.

Have loads of bee loving plants in flower at the moment but no bees in any numbers for the last few weeks.

Have some Vipers Burgloss in flower for weeks,bought specially from Ireland to encourage bees, but have not seen one bee on the flowers yet.

Lots of lavender just about to open their flowers so will wait to see if this bee magnet cures the missing little friends. 

Be interested in how other parts of the uk are faring?Bee wise in numbers seen.

• LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

Not seen one be in Essex yetimage

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    I've noticed a shocking drop in bumbles and honey bees.

Plenty of solitary bee nests though.
  • darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    * in the ringwood area.
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,149

We had loads earlier in the year but I think the colder, windy weather is keeping them away at the moment.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,472

Lots of bumbles and tree bees on the alliums. Honey bees on the angelica.

• Mel MMel M Posts: 347

Bumblebees earlier around the pears and apples and some small bees around my strawberries but not a significant number of honey bees.

• A lot of Queens earlier in the year. Weather has knocked back the gardens up here by at least a month, so it doesn't look good for the little blighters so far this year.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

It's been a bit cool recently for many bees to come out. Just hope the summer really gets going soon.

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Enough sightings to not be concerned but no honey bees yet, just wait till my Photinia davidii pops. I need earmuffs when passing that thing image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,270

I've been sitting in the garden listening to the birds and watching the bees - there were quite a few bumbles and solitary bees on the geranium phaem and broad beans, and the chive flowers are seldom without several bees at the moment - even in this chill wind. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh