Is this plant safe?
Just bought some seeds for RICINUS COMMUNIS 'RED GIANT' which are now about 2-3" Tall. A friend of mine told me about Ricin from these plants and how deadly it is. I am now concerned I am growing something that's not safe! I have cats also and, although they are not plant chewers, they do like a good mooch around the garden. Any advice/help appreciated.
I don't think the poisons jumps out at you. Half the garden is poisonous.
In the sticks near Peterborough
I've read just don't let them flower or seed. The leaves (what I bought them for) are ok I believe. I know what you mean about other plants. I have foxgloves, lilies, ivy etc.
Dr Crippen used it, apparently.
If you live in Derbyshire, as I do.
The ricin is in the seeds. Just don't eat the seeds. Castor oil is extracted after boiling which deactivates the ricin.
Yew seed is equally as poisonous and you would not eat those. There are plenty of much more poisonous and toxic plants in your garden, especially the phototoxic ones.
Odd that we can grow all these things, but try and stick a cannabis plant in the veg patch and there is hell to pay.
This absolutely stunning plant will in time grow into a tree in warmer countries. Please note that these seeds are extremely poisonous if eaten
I've grown it for years, let it flower, set seed, gather the seed and plant them in following years and I'm still here to tell the tale.
Have grown it every year, its beautiful. Grows as a large shrub in Tenerife.
Potato fruits and leaves are poisonous; rhubarb leaves are poisonous; cherry stones are poisonous ... the garden's full of poisonous plants
Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.