Forum home Plants

Peony

LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

I have a very large pink and white peony that needs to be moved, as I need to put a water butt in it's place. It is on a south facing wall of the house at the moment. Any suggestions as how to go about it would be welcome as I really do not want to lose this plant.image

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

They do not like being moved, but it is possible.  However, you really cannot do it while it is in flower if you want to keep it.  Wait until autumn when it is dormant, and move very carefully.  Have a hole prepared of a generous size, and with some Mycorrhizal fungal preparation in the hole to come into contact with the roots.  Plant gently, making sure there are no air pockets, use some John Innes No 3 with the garden soil, firm down, water copiously and hope.  I know this is a long time ahead, but if you really want to keep the plant this is my advice.  Can you put the water butt with a longer hose from the house down pipe as a temporary measure until the peony is moved? 

• LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

Thanks a lot Bookertoo, I really like that plant, it's so beautifulimage. Well,m I don't intend moving it until the Autumn anyway, I would rather wait to buy the water butt tyhan lose this plantimage

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 2,876

Feature on gardeners world said its a myth that they don't like being moved, but to remember not to put them in too deep!! image

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Indeed, WW,  I forgot the ' not too deep ',  it seems slightly odd that a big plant won't like a deep planting but you are right, peony doesn't. 

Glad you are not going to move it till autumn LL, the myth that they won't move was probably begun because folk tried in summer, broke the roots up or dug a nice deep warm hole for them!!    I had some beautiful ones from where I used to work, they were going because of building an extension - they lived in my garden for many years till I moved  - couldn't take them with me as was going out of the country - they are probably there yet. 

• LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

oh right i see, plant shallow got it! Thanks Bookertoo and Wonkywomimageble

• DaisyLoverDaisyLover Posts: 3
    I have a Peony question, if I can ask here...

I have a VERY old tree peony. It was in the garden when we moved in 10 years ago and has never been pruned!

I have only just learnt that they can be pruned and would like to know when the best time for doing this is... and if I cut too hard will it damage the plant?

I love the huge white scented flowers on this and would hate to damage it, but at the moment it's so large that the plant is needing very robust support!!
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

I take out old and ill-placed stems, right ot the base, when they're dormant. And occasionally in summer when they get so heavy they threaten to break or collapse on something else. They keep throwing up more stems so I assume that's OK

Thanks nutcutlet! The flowers have faded now so I'll trim the heads off to lighten the weight for now.. There's a lot of old wood on this one, so will have a look later in the year. Would it be better to do this before the frost sets in? Or does this not matter?
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

Good question, my cutting is usually part of the early spring work because then I can see if there are any dead branches after winter. That doesn't mean it's the best way. I make it up as I go along and most things surviveimage

Thanks for your help.. If yours seem to survive a small summer prune, I might look at just taking a couple of 'heavies' out! .. Then wait until next spring.