Forum home Plants

Tomato plants

My friend has asked me to look after her tomato plants for two weeks. She has grown them from seed and they look really healthy. I've put them outdoors on a south facing patio. However, it is still very cold here up north, especially at night, although there is no risk of frost as we live by the sea. Should I be bringing them into my conservatory which becomes very hot during the day? I'm going away for a few days and don't want them to die. Or should I put them in the shed which has a window. Any advice would be appreciated.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,308

As you are up north, the safest way until she gets back is to put them outside during the day and bring them back into your conservatory each night.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

But as you are also going away Bob's advice, while very good, won't really help.  I'd be inclined to go the shed route, over heat will kill them just as well as cold.  Alternatively cover them with horticultural fleece where they are.  What will you do about watering while you are away?  Maybe a bottle and drip system will keep them going till you return.  Always so difficult looking after someone else's plants huh? 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,308

Missed the fact that you are also going away!  I'd agree with bookertoo's advice, or palm them off to a 3rd party for a few days?

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks for the advice. Our son is coming round each day to water my hanging baskets. I don't know what to do about the tomatoes, whether to leave them in the shed while I'm away where they won't get too hot or ask him to bring them in every day to the conservatory. Will make a decision before I go!  Thanks Bookertoo and Bob the Gardener.

I would suggest that covering with fleece and asking him to water them might the better option.  Not the conservatory if it gets hot, the shed near the window is better than that, some light will be there and it will not be too cold or too hot.  If your son is watering the baskets them he may be happy to look at the tomatoes as well?

• Strong gales forecast for tomorrow and Monday here Bookertoo! I've decided to put the tomatoes in my downstairs bathroom which gets a lot of sunlight. (In the bath with water in) and my son can keep an eye on them. I'll be glad when summer finally arrives up here, it's been cold for so long. Thanks once again.

• Thanks for the advice. Our son is coming round each day to water my hanging baskets. I don't know what to do about the tomatoes, whether to leave them in the shed while I'm away where they won't get too hot or ask him to bring them in every day to the conservatory. Will make a decision before I go!  Thanks Bookertoo and Bob the Gardener.

All the best with the tomatoes - surprised you've been able to get your hanging baskets out.  Mine are planted up but it is just too windy and cold at night to hang them - they look rather nice sitting on the ground between the greenhouse and the fruit cage - but as there are quite a few of them they're rather blocking the paths!!   I hope to have them out by 1st June, next week, but the weather will make that decision for me. 

• Mine are not hung up yet as it's going to be very windy. They're sitting in a sheltered spot. They say it's going to warm up later next week so fingers crossed!

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,730

Carol, don't leave them sitting in water in the bath. If you're only away for a few days they will cope perfectly well without watering. Mix for toms should never be permanently damp, it should be allowed to dry out between waterings.