Forum home Fruit & veg

Do elephant garlic flower produce seeds?

I find it hard to believe they won't.. but can't find anything online about them. Seems they reproduce via the cloves and bulbis things they grow around the clove only. Seems strange! 

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I did find something on the web, it does go to seed but not viable, if there's little bulbuls then you can plant those
  • Garlic is simples, honest, no matter which garlic u want, just take one piece of the bulb and plant into soil, they don't need much room to grow, and can be planted any time of the year in gb except the coldest months, they will still grow, but will take longer to germinate! You can also use the green shoots at the top of the plant in mash for true garlic champimage

• Got some nice purple garlic from a farmer international market last week, which the owner stated I could not grow here, but by god, I am one of those people who laugh in the face of negativity, and say hey, I want to try this!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Mel is talking about seed, bits of bulb are not seeds. Seeds are the things at the top of a stem that follow on from flowers.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Hefferlumps Verdunimage

• derbyduckderbyduck Posts: 137

I dried the flower head from two  plants last year by hanging them up above the  freezer in the shed, when I checked them out the seeds had all gone ! fallen out eaten by by moths I don't know!  but iv'e planted the bulblets because I aint going to pay £4 for 2 cloves again . I think if you but them in a paper bag and dry them the seed may be viable but you will need to get the bees and flies to pollenate them .        I hope you do well with them, also they are  a leek ! and not a true  garlic .

D.D