where to put slug pellets

WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 2,767

Hi folks, bit of advice needed if you would be so kind? image

Dove has sent me some slug pellets but I'm not sure of the best place to put them as I read on here, I think it was Verdon the wise, that mentioned that too many attract slugs and the have a party! 

I have three drains in my garden, each a housing complex for critters! I see the trails glisten in the sun! Should I put some pellets in these areas as opposed to around my vulnerable plants?

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I do feed the birds and have cats in the garden also, so needs to be safe for all image thanks!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,840

I place them underneath a piece of slate which is raised off the ground by putting it on top of a few stones.  I then put a large stone on top of the slate to stop birds etc furtling around under it.  Place about a foot away from the plant you are protecting.

An added bonus is that it also protects the pellets from rain so they last longer. image 

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,465

This is the stuff Wonky has http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/Products/n/Natria-Slug-and-Snail-Control

it does say that it works best when moist, so possibly moisten first, then put the slate lid over image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 2,767

OK thanks Bob, thanks Dove, no problem with moisture here, its peeing it down! image

Think that sounds right Bob as I found a huge collection of slugs and eggs under an old paint roller tray that I was using as a makeshift bird bath, (not as daft as it sounds, shallow and deep end! image) anyway, said tray, slugs and eggs have been rehoused in the wheelie bin and new birdbath is in place, nice shallow dish with stone collection in image so think I will put the pellets under some slate under there! image, thanks again!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,840
    Dovefromabove wrote (see)

This is the stuff Wonky has http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/Products/n/Natria-Slug-and-Snail-Control

it does say that it works best when moist, so possibly moisten first, then put the slate lid over image

That's good stuff Dove - for some reason it's a lot harder to get these days than it was, while the normal metaldehyde ones abound.  I find it difficult to understand why given that so many folk are now eco-minded. Even Asda used to sell the organic ones but no sign for a couple of years.. image

Wonky: Yes, they love to hide under stuff so even if not attracted by the pellets they'll 'accidentally' come across them under the slate! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.