Red potatoes

MarySMaryS Posts: 1

I'd love to grow Red Bliss but they don't seem to be available in the UK - does anyone know an alternative name please? Nearest I can find is Red Duke of York - anyone have any experience with these? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 52,287

I don't know Red Bliss - they seem to be a popular potato grown in the USA. 

Here is a list from the Potato Council of varieties available in the UK and Red Bliss isn't among them.  http://varieties.potato.org.uk/varieties You could have a look at their descriptions and try to find something similar - but some varieties may not be easy to get hold of as seed potatoes as many are only available to commercial growers.  

Red Pontiac might be similar - it's parentage includes a variety called Bliss Triumph image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• If u love of the red skinned potato, the best replacement would be rooster potato, I work in the catering trade in a fine dinning restaurant, and these are all we order in, so possibly the best! Used for mash, chips, and garlic potatoes!

•                     

http://www.epicurious.com/images/articlesguides/seasonalcooking/farmtotable/red-potatos.jpg

Red Potato

Alternate Names: Red Bliss
    Characteristics: Red potatoes have a smooth thin skin that makes for a striking visual contrast against the white flesh. Its skin is edible, so it's not necessary to peel or remove it after cooking. Like many waxy varieties, red potatoes are low in starch and won't produce a light, fluffy texture. However, they are prime candidates for boiling and roasting, and work well in dishes that would benefit from a potato that holds its shape—even when sliced and diced—such as salads and gratins.

• Got some going to seed, planting tomorrow, my favourite spud of all time!

• u can buy these in ur local supermarket btw, asda, Tesco's, and just leave em in a warm dry, dark place, ( my electric meter come oil burner room) to go to seed, then plant, an average potato produces 25 babys, ie spuds, can be more, and the more you water them, the bigger they grow, got several the size of my head last year! coz I left the water hose on them for several days through out there flowering period!

• Good luck and happy growing now you have found you favourite spud again!

Rooster are a different potato to Red Bliss - totally different parentage.  They're both red-skinned potatoes - that's the only similarity.  The flavour and cooking qualities may be very different.

The photo and passage quoted by Kitchen gardener above is from an Epicurious article about potatoes available in supermarkets in the USA  http://www.epicurious.com/archive/seasonalcooking/farmtotable/visual-guide-potatoes and not very relevant to varieties grown in the UK as they are different.

I've posted the link as the author of copied work should always be attributed - see the Terms & Conditions and Code of Conduct below.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Sorry to Dove as I did not quote the Author, didn't realize I had to image But will know better next time, thanks image

PS I did state it as a replacement potato, even if you found red bliss in this country, they would still taste different due to the colder weatherimage

I found that link after I had written about a replacement, thought it may be of interest.

No probs image