Forum home Fruit & veg

When to add fertilizer to soil

Hello,

New here and new gardener as well. I just had a quick question. I am currently planting pepper (Jalapeno, Sweet Banana and Bell). I've been doing extensive Googling on how to care for the plants and so far all is going well, however I am constantly stumbling on articles stating to fertilize the plants. I am using Kellogg's Patio Plus which is a ready to use outdoor potting soil with added fertilizer...but how long do I wait to actually start manually adding fertilizer to my plants. The jalapeno just started blooming three days ago but the other two nothing. I know you have to be patient - which I am, but I want to make sure I'm not missing a step.

Thanks in Advanced!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,053

Capsicums don't need as much feeding as many other veg/fruit.  I would say there's no need to feed them at all until the first fruit has set (in fact, feeding them may increase vegetative growth and delay the production of fruit);  There'll be plenty enough food in the compost until then.  Once the fruit has set, I feed mine with liquid tomato feed added to the water but at half the strength that the tomatoes themselves get.  A feed once a fornight is often enough.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,414

Bear in mind I think this grower is in US, maybe be different growing conditions?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

I find blood fish and bone is a good slow release fertilizer. I tend to feed infrequently with dilute tomato food once it is about 8" high. I find that at that stage the leaves often lighten indicating lack of food, having exhausted the compost. Pale leaves can also be a sign of over watering though. As said, do not overfeed.