Forum home Wildlife gardening

Neonicotinoids and bees

Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 1,094

Evening everyone,

Just seen this article in the Bumblebee Conservation Trust e-bulletin for May.

http://bumblebeeconservation.org/news/bee-coalition-calls-on-defra-to-reject-nfu-neonics-application

Worth a read ......

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,175

Yes, and I read somewhere (maybe the Derbyshire Wildlife Trust mag) that the oilseed rape crop improved over the period when neonicotinoids became the subject of discussion. Other countries have tried to influence the EU's thinking and it seems that they all had a bumper crop last year compared with 2013.

Avaaz is another organisation that is keeping tabs on these shenanigans.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,079
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,079
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 1,094

Hi Dove,

Great to see there are some farmers who value the contribution bees make to the environment (and also to pollinating their crops!!)

I'm aware that not all farmers are using seed dressed with neonicotinoides this year.... however, some of these will be resorting to some of the older chemical sprays they used before the ban. This is not good news for bees as the spraying happens on a nice sunny day when the rape flowers will be open ...  and being visited by pollinating insects.

Farmers are encouraged to let local beekeepers know when they will be spraying ... but not all of them do this.

Here's hoping for a lovely summer so the bees can thrive.

Bee

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey