Forum home Tools and techniques

Securing an unstable dry stone wall?

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,992

The hedge would have to be planted on the other side of the wall from you - ie in the farmers field. If rebuilding is not an option could you perhaps speak to the farmer and get him to erect some stock fencing on his side to keep the cows away from it? Then all you need worry about is your little uns and how to keep them away from your side?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,578

It's the farmer's responsibility to keep his cattle in his field.  If you're concerned that the wall is insecure make sure he knows.  Also make sure he knows that your young children play in the garden, explain that young cattle are naturally curious creatures and they seem attracted to your garden when your children are playing there. 

Explain that rather than risk harm, injury and damage to your family and your property, you're giving him the chance to secure his boundary with proper cattle-proof fencing or substantial repairs to the wall. 

You could also mention that your understanding of insurance matters is that, if he has been made aware of problems with the wall and does nothing, his insurance company may not pay out on any public liability claims and he may be personally liable.

You can say all that in the friendliest of ways, but still get your point across. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

If it is his wall, on his property, or on a boundary for which he is responsible, then he surely has a duty of care and could be held liable for any damage or injury. Basically I agree with the Dove. 

Even if the farmer doesn't own the wall and isn't responsible for repairing it, it is still his responsibility to keep his cattle fenced securely on his property. 

It is not Louise's responsibility to keep his cattle off her land.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Right on, Dove!

It is the farmer's responsibility to keep his cattle away from the wall.
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 3,187

Dove knows this and she's right, I may have sneaky idea how she is so familiar with these regulations! image

Remember our bullocks that used to take midnight walks to the village allotments Dove? Enie, Meanie, Miney and Mo? image 

Happy days, fond memories! Haha! image

Wonky, it was only once image  The second time it was the sheep getting into Eddie's wheat field when you and your brother were due at the dentist image 

But still not as bad as your Grandpa's piglets getting into the Misses Bs' greenhouse on Christmas morning imageimage

Edd - glad you saw this one - right up your street image

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

My point in my earlier post was to sort out the child's safety and keeping a young child back from an unsafe wall would be my first action, then sort out who is responsible. A few posts and possibly chicken wire is the quickest and cheapest way. Be safe not sorry.

Frank. 

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,911

If you wanted to plant a hedge, the wall would keep the cows off until it was established. But I hadn't appreciated the wall was actually tilting over; that's a serious risk and you need to speak to the landowner to get it made safe.

I suspect rather than rebuild he'll do the minimum to make the wall stable and put up some cattle fencing on his side, but you never know.

• Louise BLouise B Posts: 81

Hi everyone. I came home today and the guy had received a complaint from my nextdoor neighbour about the wall so was putting up barbed wire fencing. I get a suitable solution and I'm not the bad guy! Result!

Now I just need to do some toddler proofing on my side but the main risk is gone image

Thanks for all of the replies.