Help to identify a Hyacinth feaured in Chelsea Flower Show

Stanley 2Stanley 2 Posts: 25

A friend posted a picture on Facebook of a beautifully luminous purple hyacinth featured at this years Chelsea - unfortunately he didn't take the name of the plant or the stand.  I have spent hours pouring over the internet to try to identify the bulb to order for next spring without any luck - including looking at the medal winners table to try to get ideas and contacts.

I know this is a long shot but did any forum readers visit Chelsea and perhaps could help identify plant or grower for ordering.  The Facebook page of the original post is private and I cannot copy to help identify.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,720

Stanley - i went to Chelsea, and saw(or rather smeltimage) the hyacinth display.  Just looked it up in the catalogue and think it was by Pennings 'DeBilt' - www.pennings-de-bilt.nl.  Can't help you with the variety, but I hope their website can helpimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Stanley 2Stanley 2 Posts: 25

Many thanks Chicky - will try their website. image

The friend who posted on Facebook has sent me another photo he took an it identifies the hyacinth as Miss Saigon - unfortunately the picture is not clear enough to see the stand or ordering instructions but it gives me a lot more to go on.  Many thanks to everyone for their help.  image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,414

Gorgeous colour - some available here http://www.rosecottageplants.co.uk/hyacinth-miss-saigon/p427 - think you'll have to be quick - it says they're not freely available in the UK!

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks everyone - I emailed Pennings de Bilt and they gave me a link to Bloms Bulbs so I now have two websites to try.  Rose Cottage accept orders from 1 June so I will see what happens.  Good stuff and will let everyone know how I get on image

I finally ordered from Bloms Bulbs who were very helpful - so just waiting for Miss Saigon to arrive later in the year.