Forum home Wildlife gardening

Anyone seen any ladybirds?

I was expecting to see some ladybirds by now as we had lots last years but haven't seen a single one yet and plants are being over run by blackfly ( and ants). We dont use pesticides but I'm wondering if neighbours do. I know ants protect blackfly from ladybirds but surely I'd see some flying about by now. Is it a low year?

• iceice Posts: 327

I've seen one inside (was rescued) and a yellow one and a few mutispot ones but no normal 7 spot ones

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 2,336
    Found a larva on some chickeed I was pulling up. Transferred to my foxgloves, which have aphids image
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,525

Not seen many - a few natives on the grapevine in March, and some Harlequins on the roses a couple of weeks ago.  I think it's too chilly - they're still hiding and keeping warm. 

We don't use insecticides and neither do any of the neighbours around us image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Wonky LegsWonky Legs Posts: 22
    I have loads in my garden at the moment, it's the first growing season in the new place so not sure if this is normal or not.
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,243

I can't recall seeing any either Nattygirl image

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Remember two sightings since start of the year, both seven spots 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,664

No, I can't say I've been tripping over them. Funny because the window frames of the house were filled with them during the winter. I have seen a few of the funny little brownish yellow ones hiding in curled up plum leaves, presumably having a quiet snack on the aphids.

I'm more worried about the lack of bees, both bumble and honey. Normally the cotoneaster horizontalis is alive with them. This evening I saw one small bumblebee and one wasp on it.image However, the weather here has been awful for weeks, colder than usual, and wet and windier than normal. I think a few may have been unable to get out and feed and have pegged out.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • PetrichorPetrichor Posts: 12

I had dozens that woke up from hibernating in my shed. Seen none since then though. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

Same for met Petrichor. Dripping out when we opened the French doors after winter and where did they go?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,006

Marked lack of them here too.  No aphids to mention either though, so perhaps it's a case of a 'foxes and rabbits' type population swing?

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.