HOW TO FIX A MESS OF A GARDEN

I HAVE A GARDEN SOMEONE HAS DESTROYED AND THE COUCIL WONT EVEN HELP LEVEL AND FIX A PATIO SO I CAN AT LEAST MAKE A START.

ITS UNEVEN,GRASSY ON PARTS. SO IVE BEEN TOLD TO ROTAVATE IT ALL THEN RAKE IT TO LEVEL THE LAWN. THEN DIG UP THE PATIO AND CLEAR A SQUARE TO REDO NEATLY. BUT THE GARDEN HAS A BIG MUD STEP SO I NEED TO PUT BLOCKS UP TO STOP IT SLIDING ONTO THE PATIO THEN REDO THE PATIO WITH ALL KINDS OF COLOURED SLABS AND SIZES. THEN PLANT GRASS SEED AND IN TIME TRAIN THE GRASS TO BE A BORDERED FLAT LAWN WITH A BASIC SQUARE PIECE OF PATIO TO SIT AND CHILL ON AND PUT SLABS UP THE LAWN IN THE MIDDLE TO THE CONCRETE POST FOR WASHING. THEN IN TIME PLANT FLOWERS AND ORNAMENTS AND MAKE NICE.

BUT HAS ANYONE A EASY BETTER IDEA AND COULD EVEN BE LIKE A DREAM GARDEN I SEE ON PICS ON A LOW BUDGET AND SELF DIY. IM A GIRL MEDIUM BUILD WAS ATHLETIC BUT INJURED MY KNEE SO NEED HELP ANYONE PLEASE.

• TesniTesni Posts: 155

Hi Joy. have you got a photo of the garden you can post?

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 2,732

Hi Joy, i've set about my garden from scratch too. I had rubble and an entire carpet under my soil as well as a paddling pool buried under the lawn, not to mention the ground elder!  Im also quite a small frame but bug on determunation! And from my garden work out, ive never been fitter!

Little by little I've begun to transform it. With advice from the folks in here its a project that I've come to find really satisfying and therapeutic.image some photos would certainly be helpful to start with image

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,531

Hi Joy,

Sounds as though you have quite a task on your hands. It might be easier if you break it down into parts and don't think about the finished product too much. If you can live with bits of the garden looking terrible while you concentrate on one bit, then you won't get too stressed out about getting it all finished. WonkyWomble has it right with the "Little by little" approach......you'll get there in the end.

Do you have any muscular friends who could do any of the heavy work in exchange for a meal and a beer?

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,486

Yep, concentrate on one bit at a time; makes sense to get the patio sorted first and work away from the house. But think about the overall plan so you don't come to regret doing something one way later.

On a budget, keep hard landscaping simple is my advice. You can pretty it up with flowers later. Check Gumtree and local skips for used concrete slabs, bricks, even soil if you need it. Always ask the skip owner's permission of course.

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,531

If you need to keep the weeds down while you are working on another part of the plot, put down sheets of cardboard. It rots down over time so you won't have any disposal problems.