Forum home Problem solving

Hosta

Hi I have just brought a lovely Hosta, but have noticed a couple of holes in the leaves like something might be eating it, I have checked all the leaves but cannot see anything on them, is there some sort of spray that I can use. Many thanks

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,286

I think you need something to deter slugs. They love hostas and will happily dispose of one in a very short time.

• TrinnywoosTrinnywoos Posts: 6
    Thank you I have got slug pellets all round and check daily for slugs, but just want to make sure that it is nothing else .
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,286

Its nearly always slugs.....especially with hostas.

I know I have lost a couple a few years ago and I do love Hosta so I thought I would try again, as I have said before I only have a courtyard so I have brought one in a pot it's a Alan Titchmarsh one with stones all around it so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Gardener JohnGardener John Posts: 114
    I have to admit using a few slug pellets around my Hostas and checking daily

usually works although keeping in pots works best for me.

The only one that has no slugs or snails on sits on a stand high off the ground.

i placed it there to get a different aspect on the plant..
  • The best way I have found is to plant in a large pot with copper tape up near the rim.  The shadier and damper the situation the greater the snail problem!

Thank you I have got slug pellets all round and check daily for slugs, but just want to make sure that it is nothing else .