Regina Gisela Cherry - is it dying???

Hi.

I'm not a gardener, however I love the idea of perennial crops (and the forest garden concept)  so have planted some trees. One of those is a Regina Gisela cherry.

My lack of knowledge, experience and time has meant that it might have been a bit neglected (it was surrounded by grass and docks that I hadn't cut back for some time). However it has been doing really well for the last couple of years, I watered it when I planted and haven't really done anything else (other than training it as a fan) and it's been flourishing. It's planted in a clayey soil and when I planted it I mixed in a good amount of compost. The tree is planted on the edge of my deck, which due to the slope in my garden is built into the bank; the earth being retained by sleepers. The tree blossomed beautifully this year and I was just looking at how I wanted to train it further when...

Having just been away for a week I came home to find the leaves have drooped. Thinking that it might be a lack of water I gave it a good amount. Saturday morning the tree hadn't picked up and the leaves had started turning yellow, so I cut back the grass (and docks) to give the tree it's own little border; I mulched the border with compost. Thinking that the grass may have soaked up the water I gave it, I watered it again.

I don't think the problem could be too much water as while I've been away it hasn't rained that much (I'm in Leicestershire, which not being far away from Nottingham has had similar weather to this: http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/uk/nottingham/historic). At the same time I would have expected the watering I gave it on Friday to have had some effect if the problem were too little water, having said that I would not classify myself as a gardener!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,579

You say you planted it a couple of years ago? I can't make the picture any larger, but it seems quite a small tree and the stem and branches are quite delicate. Could something have jumped on or disturbed or broken the roots? A dog? A child? A partner with a sheepish expression on its face?

Something has interrupted the supply of water from the roots to the leaves. Do you suffer from vine weevils in your area? They are big white C-shaped grubs with dark brown mouthparts that live in the soil.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • No dogs, etc. I'm not sure about vine weevil, I'll have to investigate though I'm a bit reluctant while it's poorly. Maybe I should water it with nematodes just in case, what do people think? I thought vine weevils are a winter problem? Wouldn't it have been showing stress earlier than now? It has seemed very healthy until this week.

I think it's just small due to be training it as a fan (ie I cut it down to two main side branches that are now growing nicely).
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,579
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • No signs of vine weevils. No leaf damage, the tree's not in a pot (so apparently is less of a risk).

Unfortunately there's no sign of any improvement...

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,912

I think it's just been very unhappy for quite a while. 

If you've only just cleared the grass etc away from it then it will really have been struggling.  Then the poor thing produced some lovely blossom which probably exhausted it.  That may have been its dying gasp, but it may recover if it's not stressed any more.  I'd give it a thick mulch with some soil conditioner from the garden centre (not right up to the trunk - leave a small space) and then leave it, only watering if the soil under the mulch is dry. 

Don't feed it - just talk nicely to it and hope ... we'll keep our fingers crossed image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• image thanks