Forum home Fruit & veg

Time to plant out runner beans?

Hi, my name is Sara and I'm new to this site. I have just taken on my first allotment and am doing pretty well. I have some runners to plant out but worried about frost. what have others done? 

• nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 406

Here in the south east I planted mine 2 weeks ago,apart from the snails eating a few they are growing well.

• Thank you. It still seems so cold here! We need a warm up! image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,813

Whereabouts are you Sara?  I'm in Norfolk and mine have been out for about 10 days and they're fine image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I'll plant some this week and put some fleece round I'm in the west midlands
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,065

Mine are also going out this weekend (in fact in about 10 minutes!) and I'll be also planting some seeds in the gaps between plants as usual, just in case anything happens to them (eg slugs, pigeons, hail, frost, wind - just a few of the likely culprits!) image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

S.Yorks and mine have been planted a week after being hardened off for a week, soil nice and warm and temperatures overnight haven't dropped below 7C, looking good image

• Thank you for your comments. I have put them out and they seem fine so far. I will get some fleece in case it gets too cold.  I'm in Buckinghamshire.