Forum home Wildlife gardening

squirrel shot for coming to the table.

• I was interested in all views on this hot topic. I have culled many grey squirrel not because they eat all the bird food but the damage they have done to my property. I am the one who supplies the food but cannot choose what type of wildlife i only want to attract and wouldn't mind if that's all they are interested in but it's not . I have a squirrel cage and only use it when i am home so once caught then killed and disposed. I would not use a gun because if i didn't kill it in one shot i would feel awful it being in the wild somewhere suffering. I have a wood at the back of my property which you would think they would prefer as their habitat but my loft seems to attract them all. I mend the damage and then it is damaged the following day. This was all happening before i started to feed the birds and with a hazelnut tree at the end of my hedge i knew i would not get rid of them completely but when i was catching at least 7 a day i knew i had to many numbers. Sorry if it upsets anyone but the damage they do is shocking i am lucky my husband is an electrian and his father a retired builder to fix the roof. They are vemin with a fluffly tail nothing cute about them

• It looks like I am in a very small minority, but we encourage squirrels into our garden. Admittedly, if they were chewing the house to bits I might have a different view, but we get hours of enjoyment watching their antics. The cat also really appreciates having these visitors who she regards as playmates, although the feeling is not reciprocated.

Taking a gun to a squirrel does in any case seem a bit extreme. I thought we gardeners were a gentler bunch.

• me  too,but like you obviously if they are causing havoc to your roof or like me rats in the roof you have to do something  ,but what concerns me most is the aggressiveness the want to kill.

• I agree with you both if they didn't enter the house and cause so much damage then i would not kill but they do return all the time and was hoping they would get the hint. I love watching them too, when they argue between one another and chase one another it looks like they are playfully enjoying themselves and my amusement when i saw a squirrel steal a corn on cob from a farmers field and try to hide it in my lawn sadly he failed miserably and gave up and just sat there eating it. Taking a gun to a squirrel is over the top, there are much better and humane ways of going about it.

• here on the isle of wight.. we only have red squirells.. if a grey is seen we have to report it and it is hunted and destroyed.. th ey are not native and are classed as vermin i believe.

• @busy-lizzie.. my mum fed them in her old garden.. put out whole hazelnuts for them in a basket in the tree or up high near a run they can use.. and they will come..

they are very shy and very beautify when they do get seen..

• I have to say that I am quite shocked at some of the stuff on this thread. Glass in chocolate for rats??? There are products on the market that deal with them humanly. Shooting a squirrel??? Who gives him the right to shoot anything. The thing is, I would be questioning why the hell he was using a gun in a public area??? Even an air riffle is dangerous. I had a friend shot many years ago because of a similar incident. There are plenty of feeders on the market that keep the squirrels from feeding there and in all honesty, man has destroyed so much of their habitat that they, like foxes, are now coming closer into society to feed. Man doesn't think before he acts. Deer destroy trees, fences etc as does many other creatures. This man deserves a kick up the arse for his actions. If you cant use the weapon and end the poor creatures life in one shot...why the hell is he trying to shoot it in the first place. 

• Obviously there is no concern here about Grey Squirrel numbers .I have had greys in my garden since I moved into this house ten years back as I have a mature oak tree which they like. They have made dreys in the eaves of both mine and my neighbours homes but we have only seemed to have one pair at any one time and the houses are big and the damage has been minimal and not endangering the waterproofing of the home as the eaves have a large overhang. So I leave them be. They do not as yet seem to have stealing from my birdtables either but if they did I would devise a method to stop them. Although I guess that would be difficult based on this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY9Yf26J4ZM

• Just to clarify - people "have a right" to shoot things in this country, provided they have the appropriate gun licence, and the landowner's permission. In the case initially discussed on this board, I think the person wasn't in what you'd call a "public place" - it was his garden, I believe.    In fact, not many areas are actually "public places" - though you might be forgiven for thinking that, given that people feel free to roam through the countryside at will.

For example, although there is a public footpath which crosses the field at the back of my house, I do get a bit cross when/if people come along to take rabbits etc without asking my permission first.  Wildlife knows no boundaries and wild creatures are what you might call "opportunists" and will frequent places where food is easily and readily accessible, hence the huge increase in the numbers or "urban" foxes.  The same applies to squirrels - and rats, come to that - so don't be surprised if you see them in your garden!  All welcome to come after the rabbits here - but please ask me first!

• Just to reinforce my argument ref readily available food for willdlife - the foxes round here seem to leave the rabbits alone, if the increase in numbers these past few years  is anything to go by.  Easier targets are the chickens & other poultry which are now housed on the land adjoining mine.  I often find part-carcases in the hedgerows & lanes, so it's clearly far less effort for the fox to get into the poultry runs, or catch the birds which escape, than it is for them to catch rabbits.

p.s. forgot to put in previous thread that I don't think you need a licence for an air rifle, which is what I think was used in the case in question.