Forum home Fruit & veg

Where are the broad beans?

Anne17Anne17 Posts: 96

my broad beans seem very happy, no sign of black fly and about 15 inches high

theyve been flowering happily for several weeks, yet as the flowers die back, there are no beans.am I doin something wrong, am I being overly impatient or is something amiss ?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,999

It takes a little while after the flowers fall for the beans to appear image  The early ones may not have set due to cold weather and lack of pollination, but I'm picking mine now - I'm sure yours will be appearing soon image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,134

same as mine I checked yesterday to see if anything not yet

Hampshire Gardener
  • I've got plenty of flowers but no beans yet either, I was tying them up yesterday and I noticed that they're covered with blackfly. I've always waited for the first beans to set before pinching out the tops what is the best thing to spray them with?

I give them a good hose-down with my thumb over the end to make it squirty (or the equivalent with a nozzle)  - I'd do that then, if the first flowers are 'going over' I'd pinch out the tops - give them a good soak in salted water and steam and eat them with a good grind of black pepper and a knob of butter.  We had ours about a fortnight ago and they were lovely image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Anne17Anne17 Posts: 96

wow, whereabouts are you? I'm in Yorkshire, maybe we're  late developers !

We're in Norfolk - I sowed Aquadulce 'Claudia' direct in the ground at the end of October - they've had no protection or any special treatment.  I'll be picking our second meal of beans for supper tomorrow or Tuesday.

• Those from Yorkshire may be late developers but we develope reet well

• Anne17Anne17 Posts: 96

Supper last night, gammon steaks, carrots, broad beans and parsley sauce - very yummy image.................... sorry, couldn't resist bragging image

I'm sure yours will be ready soon image