Covering expose liner in a pond

2»

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,642

Steve - what a complete pain in the you know what image 

Would it be possible to plant some low growing evergreens round the edges and blend them in to your other planting to disguise it? It's such a lot of work if you have to remove it and start again.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I have ajuga there and a couple of lysmachia but they aren't covering the dark green vertical surface!

Looks like you'll have to get digging Steve image

• I'm more dreading emptying it!

Have you got any of those big pliable trugs Steve? They're ideal as holding tanks till you're organised. Even cheap builder's black buckets will do the job. I know what you mean though...get your waders on! image

• Gillian53Gillian53 Posts: 112

The far edge of our small pond is higher than the front edge sadly. there was no other way to dig it.  I brought the liner over the edge of the pond, made a 'slot' with a spade about 3" away and tucked the liner edge down into it. I then laid double strips of hessian over the edge and into the water. Then I put the turf up to the lawn edge and hessian edging.As long as the hessian was wet and acting as a wick the grass was green and grew down nearly to the water. It's now dangling into the pond and the only exposed bit is where the blackbirds bathe and then pull out the grass!!! Love the blackbirds.

• Sorry Justin, I didn't mean to hijack your thread!

• imageWe were so frustrated with this same dilemma several months ago, and ended up finding Rock on a Roll. We didn't even have to empty the water in our pond or waterfall, but just moved rocks that were on our black pond liner, and laid down this rock-like liner over it. It feels like rock, it looks like rock, but it is super malleable. What is nice is that it is really thick and strong so it doesn't puncture, and was thus easy to work with. Just had to share since it saved us a lot of headache, and was fairly cheap. $30-40  for 3ft x 8ft roll. If you want to see before and after photos I wrote a post about it on my little blog to help fellow pond owners hear about it: 

http://www.mimiberrycreations.com/2017/08/cheap-and-easy-natural-pond-liner.html

Last edited: 11 August 2017 21:12:44

• The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 433

I had the same problem and ended up using creeping jenny, which did a good job of softening the area where the rocks meet the pond liner.

creeping jenny will happily spread across the liner even when there is no soil to root into.

Last edited: 13 August 2017 11:05:01

• CFCCFC Posts: 71
    mimieberry says:
    imageWe were so frustrated with this same dilemma several months ago, and ended up finding Rock on a Roll. We didn't even have to empty the water in our pond or waterfall, but just moved rocks that were on our black pond liner, and laid down this rock-like liner over it. It feels like rock, it looks like rock, but it is super malleable. What is nice is that it is really thick and strong so it doesn't puncture, and was thus easy to work with. Just had to share since it saved us a lot of headache, and was fairly cheap. $30-40  for 3ft x 8ft roll. If you want to see before and after photos I wrote a post about it on my little blog to help fellow pond owners hear about it: 

http://www.mimiberrycreations.com/2017/08/cheap-and-easy-natural-pond-liner.html

Last edited: 11 August 2017 21:12:44

See original post

Sadly we cannot get it in the UK.