The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Covering expose liner in a pond

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any tips for covering exposed pond liner around the edge of a pond?

Thanks,

Justin

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 46,103

We edged our wildlife pond with turf - it worked really well ......... until this spring when the damp turf was totally trashed by magpies and blackbirds gathering the wet soil to line their nests with image  so now it's back to the drawing board - I think we may be planting evergreen ferns to hang over the edges. 

If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,173

This is often a headache! Any pics of the pond in question? If the pond hasn't been dug yet it's a lot easier, but doing this after the installation is tricky.

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,492

I have stone slabs around my pond (would prefer not to but we all have to make the best of what we have) and have planted creeping thyme next to the slabs. The plants are making their way across the slabs and over the pond liner and have hidden quite a lot of the exposed "rubber".

Some people use large pebbles to camouflage the pond edge if the slope is gradual.

• LynLyn Posts: 9,530

I have this, it stops any soil falling into the pond so you can lay the grass right to the edge.

http://www.wetlandplants.co.uk/acatalog/PondConstruction.html 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • Suz3Suz3 Posts: 105

Justin

We have just installed a new pond. We banked up the edges and laid turf over them like Dovefromabove. Then between that and the water, threw down a ring of washed purple slate so the wildlife can get in and out.

I have then set plants into both the turf and slate to soften the effect.

Lyn's recommendation of Wetland Plants is a good one. I only discovered this site last week and ordered a selection of marginals, floaters and dead cheap lilies. The plants are great value, came really quickly - in great condition. Some of the offers are embedded in other sections, so make sure you keep clicking on all the links!

• I installed a fibreglass pond last year and as it isn't quite level, I am seriously considering having to strip it down and start again...

I will of course preserve all the water and beasties within. I'm not amused at my own stupidity.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 16,195

Hi Steve. I was asking yesterday if anyone had " seen " you. 

Devon.
  • Hi Hosta, I even started a thread yesterday. I'm still alive! image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 20,557

Steve - good to see you're still here! Shame about the pond image Is your ground clay?Maybe a bit of movement that's caused the problem rather than a 'dodgy' spirit level image

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• I was reasonably sure it was level when I started filling it. Made the mistake of not checking it as it filled!