Forum home Fruit & veg

blueberries have arrived but what now?

I ordered mail order blueberries in sale from one of the 'main' companies but they are very tall. One in particular is all stalk (80cm tall) with just a handfull of leaves at the very top. Appart from two with broken stems that I am complaining about, how do I go about getting them to be more bushy? Do I prune them back now? I think they are only one or two years old? I was hoping for something more manageable on the patio.

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,353

I bought my lone specimen from Tescos in Feb (ish) in a crappy cardboard tube as a bare root thing.  It has established lovely in ericaceous compost in a large pot but I don't think I'll see anything on it for a couple of years, it's just a baby yet at about a handspan tall

Sorry I can't be more helpful with your questions but thought I'd give the perspective of another purchase avenue.  

I'll be watching this thread for hints from the more experienced as this is my first foray into BBs.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Tetleyt you should always have more than one bush to cross pollinate
  • NattygirlNattygirl Posts: 21
    Thanks. Its reassuring that they are not right and i didnt just make a mistake ordering giant blueberry plants for our small decking! I'm a bit worried of I prune the one with leaves at the top it won't have any leaves left! Do I just leave it until it grows new shoots or will it produce more leaves anyway?

Does it count that my neighbour has some or do they have to be nearer than that?

How far is too far?  My neighbour has promised to send the bees my way! image

• NattygirlNattygirl Posts: 21
    Yes informed supplier and awaiting reply - I guess they will reply after the Bank holiday.

Ack, OK, I need another plant then - I'll do the same again and look at netting against the birds as my lettuce lasted a week at most last year after I moved in! 

Just learning about soft fruit having been given 3 raspberry canes and only had strawbs in the past (which are easy peasy weed like plants).

Thanks Verdun.