Forum home The potting shed

My New Garden Friend....sorry I had to come and show off

I have to share my excitement with someone so have come on here to share it with my friends who will understand......

Tonight for the first time ever in my whole life I had a Woodpecker in my garden, I have heard it many times whilst gardeing but never seen it. I just happened to look out of the window about 7pm and there he was on my peanut feeder, a beautiful male Great Spotted Woodpecker image

Absolutely made up imageimage

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,125

We get them. I say them because they turn up with their baby and then feed it while sitting in our apple tree. As well as using the tree for nest building practice. The green woodpecker brings its baby too.

• Awww, now I'm jealous, my new friend isn't so good after all, but it is for me as it is the very first time he has been (or at least for me to see) in my garden image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,548

Keep the feeders filled up and they'll keep coming now.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I have been doing pansy and have had lots of tits and finches, they are all beautiful and I love watching them (when I have time). image  Woody was only there a few seconds so I'm hoping he will come back, I went straight out and filled the peanut feeder again image

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

We have always had great spotted woodpeckers, love hearing them in the spring and tree surgeon showed me the two perfect golf ball sized holes in the tree the live in!

we didn't prune that bough! 

we adore our birds and are so glad the neighbour has moved and taken her cats!

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

My daughter and her husband are holidaying in the Outer Hebrides.  It has been a traumatic 18 months for them as Iain was at death's door early last year and even when there was a hope he would survive we didn't know exactly whether he would ever be whole again.  They are having a wonderful time just wandering the islands but the excitement mounted when they found an eagle watching post.  They watched her do the 'housekeeping' and then feed the chick and, as Helen said, it was a special 'with knobs on' experience to add to their day.  My most delightful moment bird watching was a woodpecker, same as yours OL, feeding alongside a Goldfinch. The first time you see something as spectacular as the Greater Spotted Woodpecker in your garden, is always a highlight.  Hope he returns for you

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,479

Posted before but OL may enjoy this video of birds feeding in my garden  https://vimeo.com/123003987#t=0s I see our GSW family several times a day and it never gets old.

• Snow MaidenSnow Maiden South Coast UKPosts: 862

You might get them back them back later to feed on the ants in your lawn. We get this every year,they always bring their young with them and stay happily feasting away for up to 20-30mins each time.........a true joy to watch . These visits tend to be early evening during July and August. 

• TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,230

image It is a very special experience isn't it OL?

This is the first property we've had where we get fairly regular visits from green woodpeckers & less frequent ones from the lesser spotted & we never tire of seeing them. A neighbour has wooden shingles on her roof which the woodpeckers love hammering on (apparently it's her regular wake up call).

We are fortunate to have a lot of visiting wildlife - some welcome - some less so. We hear owls every night but I have yet to see one - that would definitely make my week. Have thought about putting up an owl box - has anybody else done that with any success?

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down