Water voles

nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,929

After an absence of several years we can confirm that water voles are back in our pond. Had suspicions when floating iris leaves were seen and OH thought he caught a glimpse last week but today we both saw one and suspect a second.

There's never a camera handy when you need one is thereimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,909

How fantastic Nut image  Lovely creatures - I had them in a garden in Suffolk which ran down to the little stream which was the beginning of the R. Blyth - flippin coypus got rid of them - I'd love to think they're back there again image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,929

It's very exciting Doveimage

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,579

Love them. So cute.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,124

Excellent news nut, british wildlife survey will be interested in that. I remember when they were everywhere till the wildlife terrorists caused their demise and released the mink.

Mink, worse thann Japanese knotweedimage 

We've only seen one in our garden on one occasion, a long time ago now

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,148

That's brilliant news nut!! Otters are known to kill mink in areas both are known to co-exist, which could possibly give water voles a leg up. Let's hope so image

We try to be kind to the wildlife hollieimage

I've been trying to give the bats advice. They're roosting over a dormer window on the south side of the house again. It gets too hot for them and the babies don't surviveimage

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

They are incredibly noisy, stomping about all night and shouting at each other.

They smell a bit too