Best tasting cherry tomatoes

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348
I usually grow gardeners delight tomatoes but are these the best tasting? And I grow Shirley for my normal crop. If you could grow just two varieties, one cherry type and one "normal" , what would you choose?

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,032

For cherry types I dont think you can beat Sungold, which I usually grow along with Gardener's Delight!

Since I dont grow any 'normal' cant suggest. I do grow Tumbling Tom though- excellent cropper in large pots/flower buckets on the greenhouse staging. J.

• KoalagirlKoalagirl Posts: 225

I really like sweet olive.  They have a really tomatoey flavour, if you know what I mean.

• Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 677

I found Sungold at least as good as Gardeners' Delight, and they seemd to resist the blight quite well too.

• I grew Sungold for the first time last year - unbelievably sweet and will grow again this year  (and I always grow Gardeners Delight whatever). I haven't yet settled on a 'normal' one. I'm experimenting too and would welcome suggestions. Got a packect of Legend for 10p - meant to be 'blight resistant' but don't know about that  - it does have RHS Award of Garden Merit. image

• Sorry - 'Legend' does not answer your precise question

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,503

Another vote for Sungold from me.  I find they consistently start cropping earlier, and also finish later, than any other cherry type I have tried (and that's quite a few over the years!)  A similar one is Golden Cherry - in fact, I can't tell the difference and wondered if they were in fact the same variety under a different name.  For a red cherry, try Tommy Toe, an Australian variety which is very similar to Gardener's delight in flavour, but seems to have better disease resistance and is less prone to spliiting.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,119

Sungold for me too for the small ones. For bigger ones I've answered "Dona" in the past when this sort of question came up, but I've since read that it's a French variety which you used to find in England but is no longer readily available. I live in France so it's availble here.

• sungold were lovely last year and my main cropper is tigerella image

• Just sticking with "smalls" this year after last years dismal tomato crop.  This year it is Sungold and Floridity for meimage

• Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 677

I was very disappointed with Tigerella when I tried them last year, but I was growing them out of doors and perhaps Tigeralla were disappointed with the weather! I aslo grew a few Legend (Chili Lover above) but they were a complete failure as they simply didn't mature and ripen (sulking again, I should think)When they do well they're enormous bush tomatoes. Sungold has my vote, and I'm also planning to grow Maskotka (bush cherry tomato) again.