Baby tits in camera box

last weekend I was so excited to discover 7 baby blue tits in my camera box. Yesterday I had 4 left and they all seemed to be doing well, I bought a high energy fat cake which I saw the mother feeding last night, this morning they were all dead. I'm devastated & feel guilty although I suppose it could've been something else they've eaten. What do I do with the box now?

• I never bother with fat cakes/suet balls etc. The ones I did put up, the birds never touched with the result that they turned into a horrible fatty fungus wridden mess. image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,711

Sad - but these things happen - it could have been for one of many reasons - sounds like three fledged successfully.image

Remove the corpses - the parents may have a second brood in there.

Fingers crossed image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Wilma2Wilma2 Posts: 8

None fledged, the first three died within a couple of days, the weakest.

i read somewhere you should not touch the box until about October is this true? if so, does anyone know if the parents clear the nest for a second brood?

the fat cake has been really popular with the birds, I've even had a blackbird that jumps up to peck at it! I've removed it now, just in case.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,711

Maybe check it out with your local Wildlife Trust http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/your-local-trust

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thank you, ive just contacted them and will let you know what they say.

The parents have continued to come in and out the box with food and calling to them then flying back out. It is very sad, they have built a brilliant cocoon type nest with sheeps wool that I'd put in the garden too.

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

can you not look back on the camera footage and see what they dies of, i was watching a camera/wildlife programme the other night and same thing happened , when he looked back he saw a cat's paw in there image 

yes I saw that programme too! No they just seemed to give up, maybe they weren't getting enough food

aww what a shame, i can hear mine chirping away all day, i hope they make it 

here's the first sighting of one  of the chicks, he was peeking out for 15 minutes, i'm guessing he will be off soon image 

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-O7TBDJhHhsM/VV7-V9knksI/AAAAAAAAMEU/5kxDLnZBtAo/w314-h419-no/20150522_110028.jpg