Glyphosate based weed killers (i.e. Roundup et al)

The World Health Organisation recently published a report saying that glyphosate can 'probably' cause cancer.  Since then, the Dutch Parliament has banned sale of glyphosate based products to individuals from end of 2015, and a German retail giant is removing glyphosate from sale in its DIY stores and won't sell anymore from end of September 2015.  Meanwhile, Brazil's federal public prosecutor has requested the Justice Department in Brazil to suspend use of glyphosate.  Sri Lanka is also banning sale of glyphosate based products, which includes Roundup.  News from France is that Garden Centres there are pulling glyphosate from their shelves and refuse to sell it to private individuals.  And what are we doing in the UK.......not a lot.  Perhaps we can tell the retailers what we think by stop buying it.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,464

They sell glyphosate in the supermarkets in France.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Tim BurrTim Burr Posts: 417

Here's an article in Reuters about the WHO report...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/20/us-monsanto-roundup-cancer-idUSKBN0MG2NY20150320

I found this bit rather ironic...

"Glyphosate is mainly used on crops such as corn and soybeans that are genetically modified to survive it."

So, who do you think is the company that manufacturers glyphosate and who is the company that has developed the genetically modified crops to survive it?  Bet you can't guess? image

Thanks Busy-Lizzie - that wouldn't surprise me with corporate supermarkets, but would be interesting to know what is going on on the the ground at GCs in France.  Are they really pulling it from the shelves and refusing to sell it?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,115
    Interesting that they tried to sell us GM crops on the basis that they would require less pesticides and herbicides.

The truth is that the GM crops can tolerate much heavier application of herbicides and pesticides!
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,246

Monsanto has developed crops that are resistant to glyphosate (another of its inventions now freed from license) with the express purpose of allowing stronger solutions of it to be used on weeds which is why there is such a high incidence of cancer and birth defects in areas and countries that use them - usually poor 3rd world communities where profits and politics come before the health of citizens or countryside and correct supervision and controls of noxious products.

It's a useful product, used properly, but the price may be too high in the long term.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Tim Burr wrote (see)

"Glyphosate is mainly used on crops such as corn and soybeans that are genetically modified to survive it."

So, who do you think is the company that manufacturers glyphosate and who is the company that has developed the genetically modified crops to survive it?  Bet you can't guess? image

?

There's something about their CEO, Damien.

I wouldn't give any money to Bayer (IG Farben) either. 

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,486

Glyphosate sprayed on glyphosate resistant crops is one thing, and I'm concerned. This isn't what GM was 'supposed' to be about.

However, glyphosate in the garden and as weed control for things like Japanese knotweed? I wouldn't want to be without it. It's virtually indispensable.

Use it responsibly. But remember that the list of known human carginogens includes things like wood dust, sunlight, alcoholic drinks, naturally occurring radon gas. Glyphosate isn't even included in that category, being a probable carcinogen.

I would like to see over use of glyphosate reduced (especially by council maintenance teams). Not really because of the supposed cancer risk, but because they go over the top, spraying margins of grass verges which are hard to mow or strim, which I think they should leave for the wildlife. That's more a problem of obsessive tidiness.

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

Thanks WillDb for a balanced view. Most things are toxic, the issue is the degree of toxicity. Used in the garden, a glyphosate spray is as far as I know as good as completely safe, unless drunk.

The issue would be for people who use it on a regular basis for the their job - they are at risk - and if sprayed in huge quantities on crops. Residues might be harmful, and people nearby might be sprayed. Anyway, I have heard the overuse of glyphosate is causing resistance to grow.

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

Sadly organic is not practical for most people. It requires too much labour, making it too expensive, and using too much land and manure. Maybe if human excrement was directed onto the land ... image

Anyway, I have found that organic food from shops is often no better than non-organic. They usually choose varieties that travel well, and have a good shelf life, at the expense of taste. I try to be as organic as possible at home, but I am no zealot, and did use glyphosate to clear the rough patch at the bottom of my garden, and I use slug pellets.