Candytuft or weed

cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 389
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j309/Cairnsie13/20150518_153015_zpss6nbjxpo.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j309/Cairnsie13/20150518_153019_zpskjhbl2vd.jpg

I seeded a bed with candytuft in September and I thought what was growing was candytuft however I am beginning to think they may be weeds. The foliage has serrated leaves and in all the photos on the internet they have elongated plain leaves. I hope this is not the case. Any help would be appreciated

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,095

If the little flower buds look like they might be yellow, its a weed but I can't remember the name. I reckon Nut will know it.

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,492

That isn't candytuft but you will need someone else to tell you what it is.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,392

Sorryimage

I wouldn't whip them out til you know what they are though. Well grown plants, nicely spaced, maybe you sowed something else insteadimage

Or is it just me that does thatimage

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,122

Did you one of the daisy family instead carnsie? It looks like one of the shasta daisies.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 44,416

I do that Nut image

They look familiar but I can't put a name to them - I certainly wouldn't pull them out until you know what they are. 

Something keeps saying 'daisy' to me -   Shasta - something along those lines ........... but I'm probably wrong image

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt ... Margaret Atwood
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 44,416

Oh Dave, didn't see you there - I started the post and then got distracted by a cuppa image

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt ... Margaret Atwood
  • LynLyn Posts: 8,762

Could it be a Senecio?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,095

Leucanthemum? Or is that the same as shasta?

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 389

I may well have sown something else I honestly don't know it seems really odd that they have only sprouted exactly where I put the seeds. perhaps I have sown something else. Thanks for the replys I'll leave them for now and see what they look like when they flower

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,197

Looks like wild rocket to me, try a tiny bit off leaf

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne