Woodpeckers

Does anyone know if woodpeckers regurgitate food for their nestlings?   I have been sitting at my computer for the past half hour or so, watching the home-mix filled coconut shell hanging outside the window.  The woodpeckers, both Mr and Mrs are very frequent visitors;  I have timed them at 8 minute intervals.   They are stuffing themselves, but surely they can't be only feeding themselves?   So either they are regurgitating for their brood, or I have many more woodpeckers around than I know! 

It's very difficult to distinguish one male woodpecker from another, and even more difficult with the females,but I have just thought of checking their hairstyles!   Most of the birds visiting have very scruffy heads, obviously working hard at cleaning the nest!

Hah!   Got it!   At least two pairs, one male with a ruffled hairstyle and the other smoothly brushed.   Now I am happy.   Still amazed at the amount of food they are packing away, though.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,449

This site http://howtoattractwoodpeckers.com/what-do-woodpeckers-eat says that the adult woodpeckers in the US do regurgitate food for the youngsters - presumably European woodpeckers are similar.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• OneofsevenOneofseven Posts: 338

Thank you, Dove.   I did look on the internet, but ignored US sites and their info., thinking it wouldn't apply here.   They have such different ones over there, love the photos on that site.   

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,156

Our woodpeckers guzzle fat blocks all year long whenever they see one. They eat a lot but they do seem to have a very high metabolism. Very nervous. Takes a lot to keep that going.

Thinking about what they eat in a natural situation, one grub discovered hiding under the bark of one tree, I think they must store them up. They would wear themselves out flying backwards and forwards with ine item at a time. 

I love to watch them playing hide and seek with me in the morning.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.