New nestbox

I didn't know birds could read!   image

( And before you ask, no, I didn't buy it, it was a gift.)

Do you think I should remove the notices?

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 855

Very nice, but it doesn't look very secure just hung from a hook, it really need screwing down so it can't move.

• OneofsevenOneofseven Posts: 338

Don't worry, LeadFarmer, there are a couple of nails on each side to make sure it won't move.   It is safe and secure.

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,030

Lovely Oo7.  It just makes you smile. Hope it's inhabited soonimage

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,533
    Can't see photos comes up with error
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,547

Good luck with that pretty house! 

Our little bluetit is currently roosting on her nest. She had a bit of a surprise this afternoon. Just popped out for a few minutes to stretch her legs. While she was out an enormous bumblebee flew into the nest and began to wander about and seemingly try to burrow down into the nest material.

She came back, sat down on her eggs again and suddenly leapt into the air. You could almost hear her say "Jings!"

As she jumped up the bumblebee shot out from between her legs. Simultaneously they both tried to escape and had a race to see who could get out of the hole in the box first.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • OneofsevenOneofseven Posts: 338

Lovely, Pansyface!   I had a flashback to about 65+ years ago when I read 'Jings!'   Wasn't there a comic strip called 'Oor Wullie' ?   And that exclamation came up frequently.   Happy memories.

Have you got a camera in your nestbox?

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,154

Life is full of coincidencesimage I had never heard of Oor Wullie til last weekend when we caught the tail end of Antiques roadshow (before Beechgrove or something......or maybe it was Gogglebox) ........someone had a collection of old copies which were worth tens of £ thousands.

cute nest box ....hope it gets visitorsimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 2,753

Really sweet little nesting box! image

Hope it gets used! I'm wanting to put a nest box for robins in my garden as my neighbours have just cut down the tree ours nested in! image although the babes were out and hopping about, they were still using it ass a base, and I haven't seen the robin family since! Its been six days so I'm a bit worried!

Thought I could tempt them into a safer garden! Any tips about robin nest box placing, greatly received! image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,817

Hi Wonky - have a look here http://www.nestbox.co.uk/files/products/ROB.pdf  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    I found an old nest box in some grass.

Took it to work and wedged it in the hedge of Ivy, alder and hawthorn.

Now it contains a family of great tits!!